AdamsCutTheCrap.com

AdamsCuttheCrap.com

Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's your life... or is it?

Leading by example

     We have all heard it time over time, "It's my life, I can do what I want with it."  But what happens when we bring kids or a spouse into the picture?  Growing up was tough when having a heart issue.  It was tougher, however, being 12 and watching your Dad (who was only 37 at the time) go through a bypass surgery due to a heart attack.  It was life altering.  

     Before I go too far, I want you to know I think very highly of my father and all he has done for us in his life.  In fact I know he is going to read this, and I really hope he does.  He taught me many things in my life and has given me many great memories and life lessons that I shall never forget.  The one thing he never could teach me, however, was how to eat properly for the health conditions we had.  Our family is rattled by heart issues, but yet if you look at most of us in my generation we still have trouble with our weight.  Almost all of us have had problems with our weight, even though many of us have seen the devastating effects of it.   

     When I decided to have kids, it was up to my wife and me to show them how to take care of our bodies.  We needed to lead by example and know that what we do does not just effect us, it effects everyone that is close to us as well.  Growing up I was almost always obese, I ate whatever I wanted to and didn't do enough to eliminate that.  I have had that problem for almost all of my life.  When I received my realization of myself and what I was doing, it hit me hard that this was more than just me, it affected more than just myself.

     As a 12 year old, it was very hard watching my dad have to go through that surgery.  Being 12, it was confusing to understand exactly what was going on, but I knew something was not right.  My mother was hysterical, rightfully so, and at that time it did not take much to upset her.  Once it was decided that my father would have to be transported to Seattle, we quickly packed up and went to stay with my Grandma while my dad was transported via ambulance.   

     Even after that, the diet did not change very much.  He quit smoking, which was a great blessing, but did not dramatically change his eating habits.  Soon after, he was diagnosed with diabetes and has had other health problems arise.  It was hard growing up watching all of this.  I have seen how these health concerns affected everyone, but did not change myself personally.  I didn't realize that what I was doing and how I was eating mattered to anyone else but me.  Then came the realization that my habits affect the people I care most about.

        When we become husbands, wives, parents, leaders, we are put into a new light.  We are now showing the way for people and I have seen that what I do, how I act, affects everyone that is close to me.  My kids eat like I do.  If I go to McDonald's and eat, guess what...they are going to be headed there as well with me.  It is not right for me to put my family in that situation.  Sure, I know that once in a while it is not going to hurt you, but you have to be careful about how often it happens.  I, for one, will not eat at McDonald's anymore.  I try to stick to Subway or somewhere where I at least know what it is I am eating and I make sure to check the nutrition facts before doing so, that way I know what to have.


     I have decided to start leading by example. I want my kids to see their dad as an inspiration, much like I saw mine.  However, I don't want them to have to experience the numerous heartaches I had to go through as a kid because of how I choose to eat.  It is not just my life, I cannot eat food just because it tastes good or it's just "easy."  I need to eat for my health, for my family, and know that there are still great foods out there if I just try something new.  I have taken the reigns of my health and steered them in a new direction, I hope you do too!  


     I also want to thank my dad.  If it was not for him, I would not be the man I am today.  I know you are reading this and want you to know I love you dearly and thank you.


Live life by showing how to live life
Be the example
Remind yourself, who is watching me?










1 comment:

  1. I hope your father does read this. He will appreciate your heartfelt love and gratitude and know your talent for expressing it. You do have a great talent for conveying your feelings, in plain and direct words. Keep up the wonderful work, Adam.

    ReplyDelete