AdamsCutTheCrap.com

AdamsCuttheCrap.com

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Debate...

Last week I was seen by my new cardiac electrophysiology doctor.  He was talking to me about my heart condition and my defibrillator.  While we were talking the subject of being able to run and jog came up.  I told him I wish I would be able to run, as a kid I really could not run because of my heart.  Nor could I jog for that long either. I would quickly become winded and my heart would start to race.  However, now that I have lost all this weight and am on medicine that eliminates the tachycardia heart beats (as long as I don't miss a dose) it crosses my mind often just how great it would be to be able to go for a run.

It's a long shot but I'd absolutely love to do a half marathon.  I look back and wonder just how much of my issues I had as a kid was from asthma.  I never did get checked for asthma, but my parents were both smokers and I would rate my chances pretty high.

The debate is do I chance having my defibrillator going off.  I have a been shocked, I know that at least two of the times I was shocked I am pretty sure I was not taking my medicine regularly like I should have been.  I know that as long as I am taking my medicine on a regular basis I should not have to deal with the tachycardia, that on top of as long as my heart rate does not go to 220 my defibrillator will not go off.      I have a watch that comes with a chest strap that monitors my heart rate continually.

So this is where the debate comes in, do I want to just not even risk it because of my past experiences, or do I want to take the chance?  My plan is to start walking, then speed walk, then speed walk/jog, jog, jog/run, and then run.  I'm just not sure if I'd be able to let myself try.  I will keep everyone updated on which way I end up going, if anyone has suggestions or knowledge of my situation and others who have done what I desire to do please share.

Adam  

No comments:

Post a Comment